Esso Family Math Extended Resources Weeks 7 – 10 for JK, K & Grade 1 Children and their Parents (updated 2011)January 20, 2014
Training to implement this program by Family Math Canada leaders is available.
This is a manual for four additional weeks designed to follow and supplement the original Family Math Early Years Program.
The new weeks build on the basic concepts of the first program. An attempt to extend the mathematical understanding has been built into several of the repeating activities.
Because of the expanded steps and greater complexity, many of the activities will take longer to complete. Suggested timelines and activities that might be omitted are indicated.
- A 10 frame has been added to count the contents. This promotes a visual anchor or representation of 10, a key number in the place value of our number system.
- Families are asked to predict before gathering and displaying the data. This provides another opportunity to apply skills of estimation.
- A tally sheet has been added to record observations during the walk. This allows practice using a simple but effective form of record keeping.
- These activities are longer and more complex allowing for a broader range of responses.
- There are more activities for the families to complete at home each week
The themes for these sessions are:
This document contains 81 pages.
This program is available for purchase. A detailed manual outlines the full four-week program. The cost is $20.00. The material is available as a PDF or in hardcopy.
Training by Family Math Canada leaders is also available.
For more information please use the “CONTACT” form on this website.